Dear Hot Topics Master,
the following guidelines will help you prepare for your role:
You will present the theme and lead the ‘hot’ debate.
The purpose of the session is to provide the members with the opportunity to express their opinions on some preferably thorny issues so that they can practice speaking in public and their performance can be observed by the evaluation team.
The purpose of this role for the leader is to practise leadership skills – moderating discussions.
You are responsible for the smooth organization of the session, so:
PRIOR TO THE MEETING
- check the theme of the meeting so that you can prepare your theme along the same lines,
- prepare an introduction, remember that topics concerning directly politics or religion can be controversial,
- prepare inspiring or thought-provoking questions to be asked during the session,
- prepare a brief explanation of your duties for the benefit of guests.
DURING THE MEETING
- be ready to explain clearly and briefly your role (the purpose of the session and the activities),
- remind the audience about the timing rules before the session or ask the Timer to do so,
- encourage speakers to use the ‘Word of the Day’ if it has been announced,
encourage speakers to come to the front,
- be decisive and a good moderator, try to make it possible to speak for everybody who would like to take part in the discussion, tame dominating speakers,
- keep your comments short, your task is to give the members an opportunity to speak not to deliver speeches yourself!.
If there are guests,
- explain briefly the purpose of the session,
- inform the guests if they are eligible to take part in the session.
You should not
- force the audience to speak, as this is a session for volunteers only.
Prepare some counter arguments to make the debate even hotter.