the following guidelines will help you prepare for your role:
You will listen carefully to all speakers and give report on the language (good, creative or to be improved) used in the course of the meeting.
The purpose of this role is to make the speakers conscious of the language they use and to practise leadership skills and constructive evaluation.
The purpose of a ‘Word of the Day’, which is to be used as often as possible during the meeting, is to increase the audience’s vocabulary as well as making them control the language and be creative.
You are expected to give a clear and useful report on creative language use in the Evaluation Session, so:
PRIOR TO THE MEETING
– check the theme of the meeting to prepare a ‘Word of the Day’,
– prepare a brief explanation of your duties for the benefit of guests,
– think how to structure your presentation in the Evaluation Session.
– decide to focus on concrete aspects of the language.
UPON ARRIVAL AT THE MEETING
– inform the Toastmaster of the Evening if you have prepared a ‘Word of the Day’,
– write it on the board so that everybody can see it and explain the meaning.
DURING THE MEETING
– be ready to explain clearly and briefly your role (the purpose and the activities),
– announce the ‘Word of the Day’ if you have prepared it, remind members to use the ‘Word of the Day’ properly and then count only the sensible uses,
– listen carefully to the language of all people who participate in the meeting and note down the remarks you would like to share with the members,
– write down who and how often has used the ‘Word of the Day’ (or a derivative of it) correctly,
– when you give your report, mention some interesting examples of using the language and how to improve the awkward uses of the language,
– give practical advice, if something needs improvement, say how it could be done,
– announce the winner of the ‘Word of the Day’ (who has used it most often) during the awards session / or hand in the names of the winners to the TM,
– if your Club levies fines :), state who is to be fined for not using WoD / or hand in the names of the fined members to the TM.
You should not
– give an English lesson in your report.
Encourage the members to use the ‘Word of the Day’ not only as a means to improve their language, but as brain gymnastics as well.