Dear Speaker / Leader,
the following guidelines will help you prepare for your role:
You will deliver a speech based on a project.
The purpose of this role is to practise various speaking skills according to the guidelines in the TM Educational Program.
PRIOR TO THE MEETING
– prepare a speech following the guidelines; rehearse the speech to ensure quality,
– contact the Toastmaster of the Evening and a Speech Evaluator to inform them about the title of the speech, the name of the project, the program and the time limits,
– let the TM know what you would like them to include in the introduction to your speech, it must contain the name of the project and its objectives; it is recommended that the TM state who your audience is (what kind of audience you want to address),
– remember to bring your evaluation sheet,
– if you are intending to use the computer or any other device, arrive early enough to get acquainted with the equipment.
UPON ARRIVAL AT THE MEETING
– hand your evaluation sheet in to your Evaluator,
– confirm with the TM and the Timer the name of the project and the time limits,
– confer with the Speech Evaluator to let them know if you want them to watch for any specific things during the talk,
– tell the Ah Counter if you want them to use the sound device during your speech.
DURING THE MEETING
– acknowledge the TM and the audience (Toastmasters and guests),
– deliver your speech to achieve the objectives of the project,
– remember about body language, voice emission, breathing,
– keep to the time limits – when you see the yellow flag come to a close.
You should not
– thank your audience after the speech, simply return control of the meeting to the Toastmaster of the Evening (‘Mister / Madame Toastmaster! Mister / Madame Chair!’). Wait for the TM to return to the lectern, then resume your seat.
AFTER THE MEETING
– collect your evaluation sheet.
– complete your record.
– sign up again for a speech and deliver the same one if you wish to practise the objectives of the project again,
– keep the individual speech evaluation cards.