The Speech Evaluator
Dear Speech Evaluator,
‘Effective Evaluation’ manual and the following guidelines will help you prepare for your role:
You will evaluate the Speaker of the Evening according to the guidelines in the project.
The purpose of this role is to learn how to give feedback – evaluate public speaking in a motivating and constructive way and help the Speaker become less self-conscious and a better speaker.
PRIOR TO THE MEETING
– contact the Speaker to learn about the title of the speech, the name of the project and program and the time limits, and who their audience is (what kind of audience they want to address),
– learn about the objective of the speech,
– learn about the individual goals of the Speaker,
– prepare a brief explanation of your duties for the benefit of guests,
– think how to structure your presentation in the Evaluation Session.
UPON ARRIVAL AT THE MEETING
– confirm with the Speaker the name of the project and the time limits,
– confer with the Speaker to see if they have any specific things for you to watch during the talk,
– collect the evaluation sheet from the Speaker.
DURING THE MEETING
– be ready to explain clearly and briefly your role (the purpose and the activities),
– expect the speaker to be able to include all the points and follow all the guidelines from the project and evaluate them basically with reference to the objectives and requirements of the project,
– be constructive and supportive, the speaker should be informed and built up, and feel encouraged to deliver speeches,
– construct your evaluation in the form: strong points, recommendations, praise,
– give recommendation and not critical comments; if you think there are areas for improvement – give suggestions how it could be done and why,
– stick to the time limits – you can provide the speaker with the full written report on the evaluation sheet or confer with the speaker later.
You should not
– refer to the content of the speech, unless it is connected with the feedback on the objectives. The Speaker is the owner of their speech.
AFTER THE MEETING
– return the evaluation sheet to the Speaker, as well as any additional written comments.