Dear WoD Master,
the following guidelines will help you prepare for your role:
You will listen carefully to all speakers and give report on how they used the Word(s) of the Day in the course of the meeting.
The purpose of this role is to make the speakers conscious of the language they use.
The purpose of a ‘Word of the Day’, which is to be used as often as possible during the meeting, is to increase the audience’s vocabulary as well as making them control the language and be creative.
You are expected to give a short report on the use of the WoD, so:
PRIOR TO THE MEETING
- check the theme of the meeting to prepare a ‘Word of the Day’,
- prepare a brief explanation of your duties for the benefit of guests.
UPON ARRIVAL AT THE MEETING
- inform the Toastmaster of the Evening if you have prepared a ‘Word of the Day’,write it on the board so that everybody can see it and explain the meaning.
DURING THE MEETING
- be ready to explain clearly and briefly your role (the purpose and the activities),
- remind people to use the ‘Word of the Day’ properly and then count only the sensible uses,
- write down who and how often has used the ‘Word of the Day’ (or a derivative of it) correctly,
- announce the winner of the ‘Word of the Day’ (who has used it most often) during the awards session / or hand in the names of the winners to the TM,
- if your Club levies fines :), state who is to be fined for not using WoD / or hand in the names of the fined members to the TM.